Join Our Mission – Volunteer with the Franciscan Monastery
Be a vital part of our mission and spiritual family
As a member of the Franciscan Monastery Volunteer Guild, you will be directly supporting our mission in Washington DC and in the Holy Land – helping the monastery serve as a place of pilgrimage for 50,000 annual visitors to our oasis of peace in DC and helping us promote awareness of and support for Christians in the Holy Land.
Choose Your Role – Volunteer Opportunities
- Tour Guide (English and/or Spanish): Lead visitors on guided tours of the historic Church, the catacombs and Grottoes.
- Concierge (English and/or Spanish): Greet visitors at the Visitor Center Welcome Desk, church and grounds. Be welcoming, answer questions, direct visitors to activities and provide general hospitality.
- Gift Shop: Assist in organizing the stock room and shop, pricing items and other projects as needed.
- Library: Assist the librarian with maintenance and organization of the library, research and more.
- Administrative Support: Volunteer in the friary offices with data entry, copying, word processing, stuffing envelopes and assisting with setup for special events.
- Garden Care: Join the Franciscan Monastery Garden Guild, which cares for the Monastery’s flower, herb and vegetable gardens and beehives. Volunteers also are needed for special projects, including Christmas Luminaria, Easter Lily and Palm Cross Sale (and church decoration) and the Annual Plant and Herb Sale.
- Special projects: One-time/limited scope projects, such as cleaning up the greenhouse, grounds or church or assisting with the spring luncheon, fall benefit, annual plant and herb sale, luminaria set-up, etc.
- Receive Spiritual Benefits – Deepen Your Faith with the Friars
The Volunteer Guild is not simply a group of individuals who give their time, but a spiritual family. The monastery offers members of the Volunteer Guild spiritual benefits in exchange for your commitment.
- Annual Mass of Recognition
- Annual retreat
- Remembrance in First Tuesday Masses
- Remembrance in the friars’ prayers and daily Mass
- Participate in Bible studies, lectures, prayers
Eager to participate in the mission of the Franciscan Monastery – to raise awareness of Christianity in the Holy Land and serve as a place of pilgrimage, prayer and peace?
- Friendly and comfortable working with a variety of peopleSupportive of the Monastery’s mission
- Be neatly and modestly dressed (e.g., polo and slacks)Age 18 or older
- Commitment of 3-5 hours/month, preferably with a one-year commitment (academic year for students)
- Complete application and background check
- Interview with a volunteer coordinator
- Attend orientation, including a tour of the church
- Participate in occasional refresher training
- Submit your completed initial application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will then be contacted for an interview and asked to complete a more detailed application form and background check.
Questions? Please call our Volunteer Coordinator at 202-526-6800 extension 895.