Join Our Mission – Volunteer with the Franciscan Monastery
As a member of the Franciscan Monastery Volunteer Guild, you will directly support our mission in Washington DC and in the Holy Land – helping the monastery serve as a place of pilgrimage for 50,000 annual visitors and helping us promote awareness of and support for Christians in the Holy Land.
- Tour Guide (English and/or Spanish): Lead visitors on guided tours of the historic Church, the catacombs and grottoes
- Concierge (English and/or Spanish): Greet visitors at the Visitor Center, church and grounds
- Gift Shop: Assist in organizing the stockroom and shop, pricing items and other projects
- Library: Assist with maintenance and organization of the library, research and more
- Administrative Support: Volunteer in the friary offices with data entry, copying, word processing, stuffing envelopes and assisting with setup for special events
- Garden Care: Join the Franciscan Monastery Garden Guild, which cares for the Monastery’s beehives, flower, herb and vegetable gardens. The Garden Guild also organizes special projects such as the Christmas Luminaria, the Easter Lily and Palm Cross Sale, and the Annual Herb and Plant Sale.
- Special projects: One-time/limited scope projects such as cleaning up the greenhouse, grounds or church or assisting with the spring luncheon, fall benefit, annual plant and herb sale, luminaria set-up, etc.
Receive Spiritual Benefits
The Volunteer Guild is not simply a group of individuals who give their time, but a spiritual family. The monastery offers members of the Volunteer Guild spiritual benefits in exchange for your commitment.
- Annual Mass of Recognition
- Annual retreat
- Remembrance in First Tuesday Masses
- Remembrance in the friars’ prayers and daily Mass
- Participate in Bible studies, lectures, prayers
- Friendly and comfortable working with a variety of people
- Supportive of the Monastery’s mission
- Be neatly and modestly dressed
- Age 18 or older
- Commitment of 3-5 hours/month, preferably with a one-year commitment (academic year for students)
- Complete application and background check
- Interview with a volunteer coordinator
- Attend orientation, including a tour of the church
- Participate in occasional refresher training
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions? Please call our Volunteer Coordinator at 202-526-6800.