Making a gift of appreciated securities—stocks, bonds and/or mutual funds that have appreciated over time—is easy and is one of the most tax-efficient ways to give to a charity.
Appreciated securities with unrealized gains (purchased over a year ago and have a current value greater than their original cost) may be donated to the Franciscan Monastery, and a tax deduction may be taken for the full fair market value of the securities, generally up to 30% of your adjusted gross income. Because the securities are donated rather than sold, capital gains taxes from selling the securities do not apply. The more appreciation the securities have, the greater your tax savings will be.
How to Transfer Stocks Electronically
To make a donation of stock to the Franciscan Monastery, click here to download our Stock Transfer Form and mail, email or fax it to the Monastery. Provide your broker with the following information:
Brokerage House: Manufacturers and Traders Trust Company
Account Name: Franciscan Monastery USA, Inc – Mutual Funds
Account Number: 1046523
Account Administrator: S Bernadette Greaver
Telephone Number: 410-545-2765
DTC Number: 990
How to Donate Stock Certificates
If you have the stock certificates in your possession:
1. Please sign one stock power for each certificate you (and any co-owners) intend to give to the Franciscan Monastery.
2. Write your name exactly as it appears on the certificates. Your signature(s) on the stock power must be guaranteed by a bank.
3. Leave the remainder of the stock power blank, and do not sign the stock certificates themselves.
4. Deliver to the Franciscan Monastery in-person or by registered mail:
• Deliver to Margherita Ligorio, Franciscan Monastery, 1400 Quincy St. NE, Washington, DC 20017. Contact her at 202-526-6800 x895 for instructions.
• Send by registered mail, using two separate envelopes. Place the unsigned stock certificates in one envelope, and the stock power in a second envelope. Include a notarized letter describing the details and purpose of your gift. Address both envelopes to: Margherita Ligorio, Franciscan Monastery, 1400 Quincy St. NE, Washington, DC 20017.
Your stock donations will help ensure the Franciscan Friars can fulfill their 800-year mission in the Holy Land to preserve Christianity for Christians living in the Holy Land and around the globe. It’s always a good idea to consult with your tax advisor before making a charitable donation to a charity.
Margherita Ligorio, 202-526-6800 x895, is available to help you.